DSCUS



"I WON'T BE SILENT ON POLICE VIOLENCE" - TENNIS LIVING LEGEND SERENA WILLIAMS WRITES ON FACEBOOK


Serena Williams, 35, weighs in on police violence/brutality/discrimination against African-Americans in the United States Of America.
She narrated how she had asked her 18-year old nephew to drive her somewhere so she could work during the journey but then she saw a police car then she "remembered that horrible video of the woman in the car when a cop shot her boyfriend" and all of this went through my mind in a matter of seconds"
See the full post after the cut


Today I asked my 18 year old nephew (to be clear he's black) to drive me to my meetings so I can work on my phone #safetyfirst. In the distance I saw cop on the side of the road. I quickly checked to see if he was obliging by the speed limit. Then I remembered that horrible video of the woman in the car when a cop shot her boyfriend. All of this went through my mind in a matter of seconds. I even regretted not driving myself. I would never forgive myself if something happened to my nephew. He's so innocent. So were all "the others."

I am a total believer that not "everyone" is bad it is just the ones that are ignorant, afraid, uneducated, and insensitive that is affecting millions and millions of lives.

Why did I have to think about this in 2016? Have we not gone through enough, opened so many doors, impacted billions of lives? But I realized we must stride on-for it's not how far we have come but how much further still we have to go.

I than wondered than have I spoken up? I had to take a look at me. What about my nephews? What if I have a son and what about my daughters?

As Dr. Martin Luther King said "There comes a time when silence is betrayal."

I
Won't
Be 
Silent
Serena


Please Subscribe and Share!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment